Saturday, July 27, 2013

Broccoli

I've become the stereotypical high school graduate.

I don't think it happened overnight but I can't be sure. My family and friends probably noticed this fact far before I did and are probably having a good chuckle at this sudden realization that I'm having.  The whole situation is reminiscent of the piece of broccoli I had in between my teeth giving me the appearance of visiting the local college dental school for my orthodontic work.  

This high school graduate isn't exactly the worst thing to become.  There are far more taxing, embarrassing, and genuinely unpleasant things to experience:  taking out the trash in your pajamas, stepping in dog poop, or knowing all the lyrics to a High School Musical song that's stuck in your head.  No, my days are certainly not filled with reverberations of Zac Efron's voice.  And come to think of it, they aren't really filled with much of anything except for sleep and practicing.  

I think maybe the reason I'm so scared of this is because it goes against the 12 years of my life I've had thus far.  My memories of summer are similar to that of a haunted house.  You try to enjoy your time between surprise attacks but you always know that the ghost of procrastination past just waits right around the corner to give you a heart attack.  But that's all gone now.  This summer, it's like being home alone.  You are convinced that your ice-maker and air conditioning are serial killers and zombies, but then you remember that you aren't important enough to be murdered.  Pity.

Because my summer is no longer filled with assigned novels, I've discovered this wonderful habit of reading for pleasure.  (To those of you not forced to read Pride and Peace or War and Prejudice, I recommend The Alchemist by Coelho and The Interestings by Wolitzer).  And instead of being busy watching the movies corresponding to the assigned novels because I'd given up on force feeding myself literature, I've discovered one of my greatest and most loyal friends: Netflix.  I am having a side-affair with the movie theaters--please don't tell Netflix, he'd never forgive me.  It would appear though that my schedule is pretty vacant.

So, I wish desperately that I could give you a valid reason for this blog post being so late.  I wish I could tell you that it was because I was wrapped up in a tough calculus problem or that I just couldn't put the Catcher in the Rye down.   Really though, there's no good reason.  My days are only half-full (half full because I'm an optimist) and there is no logistical conflict that I had to prevent me from posting two days late.

But, I think this is a good thing.  Because this is how this blog will be.  Think of this site like a cream pie to the face.  It's random, a little humorous, though hopefully not too offensive.  It might leave you with some questions and maybe, if I'm lucky, it'll have a nice aftertaste.  When it hits you, you might mistakenly think that there is something of substance in it, but it's probably just fluff.

I can't make any promises about this blog because I've already broken the first one.  There won't be a schedule for posts.  The posts won't be about anything in particular.  I can't even promise that it will be that interesting.  I'm sure there are better cream pies out there but this is the only kind my poor culinary skills can throw together.

I'm only a high school graduate.  You can't expect much.  

Just be thankful I don't have broccoli in my teeth at the moment.

1 comment:

  1. It turns out being a stereotypical college graduate is remarkably similar to a being a stereotypical high school graduate. If you think that you can find some time away from Netflix, maybe we could meet at the theatre together ;) -Caitlin

    ReplyDelete